What is old is new again…
If you are reading this, then I was successful, if not, well… ;)
I have had a long neglected blog that I haven’t updated in three years and it was hosted on one of the free blog services to be ‘parked’ as most of my writing has been on $social_media.
Now, just to scratch a itch, I decided to modernize the setup, using:
- the latest in static site generation tech Hugo, where I can do the content development on my laptop/desktop/mobile using Markdown syntax. (More on the mobile portion in another post)
- checking it all into a git repo which on commit…
- triggers a web deployment pipeline via AWS Amplify which checks out the branch and “compiles the website” then…
- publishes the resulting static content via CloudFront where I can use a custom domain.
- which is all secured over HTTPS & TLS via Amazon Certificate Manager (with auto key rotation).
For now I should be falling under the AWS free tier pricing for the first 12 months, but I expect the costs afterwards to be minimal.
Not sure yet if I am going to copy over the old blog posts, will need to think about that. Also whether to keep this theme or change it up once I get more content in.
In any case I do plan on keeping this up with more frequent content - perhaps at least once a month. It will never be as frequent as say $social_media, but this website is better suited for long form content that I want to have searchable vs meme’s.
So let’s see what this new adventure in writing/blogging holds. ;)